What’s Happening In The Market Now..
- The market opened the day mixed with investors mulling over jobs data that was better than expected and earnings reports that missed expectations.
- ADP Employer Services reported private employers cut 522,000 jobs in January versus a revised 659,000 jobs lost in December. The December job cuts were originally reported at 693,000. Economists had expected 530,000 private sector job cuts in January.
- In earnings news Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT), Walt Disney Co. (DIS) and Time Warner Inc. (TWX) have reported worse than expected fourth quarter numbers.
- Sectors starting the day out strong include real estate services, home entertainment software, diversified metals & mining and construction materials while agricultural products, trucking and casinos & gaming are down.
- Volume leaders include General Electric Co (GE), Wells Fargo & Co (WFC), Intel Corp (INTC), DryShips Inc (DRYS) and JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM).
Stocks Most Watched Today
Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT), BHP Billiton Ltd. (BHP), Costco Wholesale Corp. (COST), Gap Inc. (GPS), Lazard Ltd. (LAZ), Illumina Inc (ILMN), US Steel Corp (X), Riverbed Technology Inc (RVBD), Genco Shipping and Trading Limited (GNK), Clorox Co (CLX), Western Digital (WDC), Walt Disney Co (DIS), Arthur J Gallagher and Company (AJG), Rambus Inc (RMBS) and Time Warner Inc (TWX).
Today’s News Leaders…
Walt Disney Co (DIS), Costco Wholesale Corp (COST), Time Warner Cable Inc (TWC), Kraft Foods Inc (KFT) and Live Nation Inc (LYV).
Kohls Corporation (KSS), Safeway Inc (SWY), Cardinal Health Inc (CAH), Netflix Inc (NFLX) and Fortune Brands Inc (FO).
ETFs and HOLDRs Watched Today…
Sector SPDR Energy Fund (XLE), Market Vectors Steel Index Fund (SLX), iShares Russell 2000 Index Fund (IWM), Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ) and iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology Index Fund (IBB).
Tip of the Day…
Trust what you bring to your investment analysis. The numbers can only tell you so much and then it is up to you. Your unique experience and knowledge is your best edge on the market.