What’s Happening In The Market Now..
- Stocks got off to a slow start this morning.
- Investors appear to be waiting for more details on the compromise version of the $790 billion economic stimulus plan on track for a Friday vote in the House. The Senate could vote on the package later in the day or over the weekend.
- Earnings reports for the fourth quarter continue to show a mixed but improving picture with revenues down but earnings in-line with estimates.
- Auto suppliers asked the Obama administration Friday for up to $25.5 billion in loans and government guarantees to stabilize the battered U.S. auto industry.
- Regulators on Friday closed Sherman County Bank in Nebraska and Riverside Bank of the Gulf Coast in Florida, marking 11 failures this year of federally insured institutions.
- The dollar was mixed against other major currencies with gold prices down and crude prices on the rise after falling to its lowest price this year on Thursday.
- Sectors starting the day out strong include diversified metals & mining, IT consulting, motorcycle manufacturing and gas utilities while banks, REITs, financial services and real estate services are down.
Stocks Most Watched Today
Visa, Inc. (V), Texas Instruments Inc. (TXN), Altria Group Inc. (MO), Honeywell International Inc. (HON), PF Chang’s China Bistro Inc. (PFCB), McAfee Inc (MFE), AU Optronics Corp (AUO), ValueClick Inc. (VCLK), Pepsi Bottling Group Inc (PBG), Annaly Capital Management Inc (NLY), Savient Pharmaceuticals Inc (SVNT), Corporate Office Properties Trust (OFC), Jarden Corp (JAH), Sun Microsystems Inc (JAVA) and Cheesecake Factory Inc (CAKE).
Today’s News Leaders…
Microsoft Corp (MSFT), Abercrombie & Fitch Co (ANF), Cognizant Technology Corp (CTSH), Pepsico Inc (PEP) and Toyota Motor (TM).
Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT), Caterpillar Inc (CAT), Potash Corp of Saskatchewan Inc (POT), Netflix Inc (NFLX) and Fortune Brands Inc (FO).
ETFs and HOLDRs Watched Today…
United States Oil Fund LP (USO), Market Vectors Gold Miners (GDX), iShares MSCI Canada Index Fund (EWC), Industrial Select Sector (XLI) and PowerShares DB Silver Fund (DBS).
Tip of the Day…
No one is going to live forever. Include an estate plan in your retirement planning. This can help maximize current income while minimizing the gnaw of taxes on you and your heirs.