What’s Happening In The Market Now……
- Stocks jumped up at the open this morning.
- Investors appear to be looking to the massive government spending to jolt the economy out of a yearlong recession that is the most severe in decades.
- Investors think the Federal Reserve is all but certain to leave its federal funds rate at a record low to try to help the economy by making it cheaper to borrow money.
- The Fed is also trying provide relief for homeowners nearing foreclosure with programs which could lower the amount the homeowner owes on the mortgage, reduce the interest rate or lengthening the term of the loan.
- Sectors starting the day out strong include banks, life & health insurance and financial services while electronic manufacturing services, gold and integrated telecom are down.
- Volume leaders include Wells Fargo and Company (WFC), EMC Corp (EMC), United States Oil Fund LP (USO), Wyeth (WYE) and Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM).
Stocks Most Watched Today
Wells Fargo & Company (WFC), J. C. Penney Company, Inc (JCP), Marriott International, Inc. (MAR), Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL), Nippon Telegraph & Telephone Corp. (NTT), Praxair Inc (PX), Monsanto Co (MON), Dell Inc (DELL), Juniper Networks Inc (JNPR), Deere and Co (DE), Genuine Parts Co (GPC), Illinois Tool Works Inc (ITW), Ciena Corporation New (CIEN), Newmont Mining Corp Holding Co (NEM) and Novartis ADR (NVS).
Today’s News Leaders…
Wells Fargo and Company (WFC), Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCL), Dell Inc (DELL), Newmont Mining Corp Holding Co (NEM) and Novartis AG (NVS) top the lists of companies with news today.
Research in Motion (RIMM), Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT), Clorox Co (CLX), Expeditors International of Washington Inc (EXPD) and Netflix Inc (NFLX). Click on one of the tickers to find out the details on these stocks.
ETFs and HOLDRs Covered Today…
iShares Dow Jones US Finance Sector Index Fund (IYF), iShares Russell 1000 Index Fund (IWB), SPDR KBW Bank (KBE), ProShares UltraShort S&P500 (SDS) and Market Vectors Gold Miners (GDX). Click on one of the tickers to find out the details on these stocks.
Tip of the Day…
Try to build Flexibility into your portfolio. Keep a spreadsheet and make notes on why you made all your investment decisions along with the characteristics of the stocks and trades. Try to find what works then do more of the same.